A number of concerns have been identified regarding public schools by parents who have children with special needs. Over the coming months, we will be highlighting specific issues, including:
- Awareness and understanding of the Appeals Process and how this impacts parents and their children in the Public School System
- Exploring the Human Rights Complaints process as a viable alternative to School District appeals.
- Further exploration of the issue of modified days and children being sent home early from school, including how this is being tracked and responded to, as well as financial implications for families
- The need for greater clarity on the role of medical professionals in recommending supports at school, and increased timeliness by School Districts in response to parental requests for educational assessments and accommodations.
- The lack of effective oversight and regulation of the programs and policies of individual School Districts.